Friday, September 30, 2011

[September of Short Adventures] Day 25: The Sky is the Limit


Woohoo! I actually completed this thing! Even after deleting four days worth of posts and starting over! Yay me! My next task will be to go through all the other blogs and check out their entries. I intentionally avoided checking out the "competition" for fear that I might either be unfairly "influenced" or "discouraged" from writing whatever popped into my head. One thing that helped with this strangely enough was my cellphone. If I got an idea for an adventure, and I wasn't at my laptop, I just opened my phone's "Notes" app and jotted a brief description of the adventure down. I think I had between three to five ideas written in it at a time.

Well, it's not over yet. It's time for the last adventure that just popped into my head a few minutes ago.

The Sky is the Limit

Synopsis: Two days ago, a sizable group of birdmen flew down from the mountains and into the manor yard of Lord McElroy, wounded some of his men and flew off with two horses. The birdmen claimed that they had every right to attack McElroy's home, and acted justified in stealing the mounts. McElroy claims that the attack was unprovoked, while he has sent men up into the mountains before, they have always steered clear of the birdmen and their homes. McElroy asks the party to deal with the birdmen and prevent any future attacks.

Background: McElroy is telling the truth in that he has never done anything to intentionally provoke the birdmen, and goes out of his way to avoid them. However, he has angered them nonetheless with one of his more greedy and gluttonous actions. Having grown accustomed to having guests at his estate, McElroy has taken to lavishing them with fancy meals. Recently, he has taken to having his cooks serve a remarkable breakfast feast. The main dish in this meal is a set of omelettes... made from griffon eggs.

Once a month, Lord McElroy sends his men up the east mountain to a griffon nest to take one or two eggs for this meal. On the last expedition, a group of birdmen spotted them and decided to seek justice on the griffon's behalf. The horses were taken as they are a griffon's favorite food. Though griffons are unintelligent, the birdmen see all winged creatures as kindred spirits.

Monsters: Birdmen (24)- AC: 7; HD: 2 (2 hp); Dmg: 1d6 (spear or bow); Save: F2; Morale: 8; Alignment: N; Exp: 30; Notes: Can fly 120' (40')

Griffon- AC: 5; HD: 7 (30 hp); Dmg: 1d4/1d4/2d8 (claw/claw/bite); Save: F4; Morale: 8; Alignment: N; Exp: 450; Treasure in Nest: A saddlebag with 4,000 ep

No comments:

Post a Comment