Saturday, February 2, 2013

40 Days Till GaryCon! Up All Night, or Not.

Last year I made a list of things I wanted to do at GaryCon. One of them was to pull an all-nighter of gaming. Staying up gaming until the sun came up the next morning rolling the dice with friends old, new and not yet made. That didn't happen of course, and I am of the opinion that it was a good thing that I didn't.

The longest I have ever gone without sleep was when I was 19 years old. I was a sophomore architecture student at the University of Illinois on academic probation trying to get a project done before a critical deadline while attending every class I could. I went for three days with a maximum of two hours of sleep, one of which occurred at my job at the Undergrad Library. I practically lived in the studio, eating Grog's Pizza and drinking Mountain Dew. When my project was finally finished, I stumbled back to the frat house where my brothers were wondering where I had disappeared to since Wednesday. I remember crashing for about six hours and then waking up that evening in time for a party we were throwing at the house.

I also remember how I felt like crap the entire time. Going without sleep is like suffering from the worst symptoms of a head and stomach flu simultaneously. And when you're on vacation, the last thing you want to do is feel like crap. On top of that, I turn 39 two days before the convention. The 'up-all-night-sleep-all-day' thing may work for a 20-something college student, but not for someone who's pushing 40.

No comments:

Post a Comment