Wednesday, February 27, 2013

15 Days Till GaryCon! Beer Run!

While Spotted Cow is the favorite beer of the Gygax clan, I am looking forward to imbibing other beverages upon my return to the Midwest. Don't get me wrong, the Southern Tier of New York State has plenty of microbreweries that produce great beer. But being there are a couple of beers that I miss that I want to have again. Though I may have to make a run to the liquor store to get them.

Leinenkugel is a beer that I started drinking when I went back to school in my early-thirties (as opposed to the late thirties I'm at now). It was the beer that was the 'step up' from the big name domestics that I drank before. Since I started drinking Leinie's, I moved on to some imports like Newcastle and got into a few more local brews.
1554 Enlightened Black Ale by New Belgium Brewing was my go-to beer when I lived in Indiana. I had already developed a preference for darker beers after drinking Newcastle. So this black ale that was served in a goblet caught my attention right away. It has a rich, dark flavor that goes well with heavier foods. And on top of that, it's a beer that I usually savor instead of downing a glass like many lighter beers.

So it looks like I'll be making a beer run the day my brother and I drive up to Lake Geneva. Michael doesn't drink, so I guess that will mean more for me. Though I'm sure I will buy enough to share with at least a few friends.

2 comments:

  1. And I plan to bring plenty of Yuengling from my neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh... Yuengling! I've enjoyed that quite a bit since moving out east.

      Delete