Thursday, April 12, 2012

J is for Jocularity

Nine out of ten times I try to run a normal game, inevitably there is a moment where the group breaks down laughing. And yet whenever I try to run an intentionally comedic game, the laughs never come. It's one of those little quirks I've come to expect out of game mastering.

Most of the time the laughs are from the joy of seeing a situation go well. Any humor that pops up is due to an amusing situation, either in or out of character. Someone will come up with a snarky comment, a die roll pops up a humorous result, or an attempt at role-playing goes horribly awry. But I have never been able to master the art of the comedic game.

Maybe it's because my players are looking for something in the action/adventure genre, where comedy is there as a means of releasing tension. Or maybe it's because comedy is so difficult to master, one person's silly is another's stupid. Or maybe I'm just not as funny as I'd like to think I am. Regardless of the reason, I have to to give credit to those that have managed to pull off the "humorous" game.

Sorry for the short post. I was reaching for topic on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment